Tuesday, March 06, 2007

school visit

we stopped at this little school in the lao countryside (on the way back from more jars)

awesome kerchiefs



they LOVED having their photos taken and seeing themselves on the digital camera

most of them loved it, anyway

we stuck our big american heads in a classroom and, of course, completely disrupted some serious book learnin

school window


they were hiding behind thier schoolbooks




this is what joren looks like when i "loose the camera" or "won't stop bothering him" or "don't share my fried chicken leg"

1 Comments:

Blogger Jasph said...

For Hallmark's "trends week" (red kerchiefs are in), one of the visiting lecturers was a guy, Glen (Greg?) Mortensen (Mortenson?), whose whole thing is building schools in remote villages -- Afghanistan and various other countries I can't remember right now. OK, I wasn't passing notes in class and not paying attention. But he came to our dept. later and talked for about an hour about this work. His book is called "Three Cups of Tea."

Anyway, the smiles on the faces of your Laotian schoolkids remind me: people who gave a shit had to build that school and staff it and continue to give a shit so those kids can have a fighting chance at a decent life. Stuff like that always makes me question what the hell I'm doing.

Besides writing cards for Wal-Mart, as I am this week. Obviously a critical task. Don't talk to me, I'm busy and important.

10:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home